Artificial intelligence has caught on with software builders who construct APIs, with 60% of respondents to a latest Postman survey stating they are employing generative AI in their work opportunities. This was just one of the key results in Postman’s 2023 Point out of the API Report, which is primarily based on a survey of 40,000 developers and API specialists.
More than half of the survey respondents use AI to uncover bugs in code, and additional than a 3rd depend on AI to deliver code. When asked what variety of venture most excites builders in the coming calendar year, the top solution was constructing AI-powered applications.
Senior API builders had been substantially fewer very likely to use AI instruments than junior builders, except to create paperwork and reviews. Developers in governing administration and defense ended up the least likely to use AI instruments, when people in education had the maximum uptake charge at 65%. Requested what level of productiveness advantage they count on AI tools this kind of as ChatGPT or GitHub Copilot to provide through the up coming two several years, the premier share of respondents (about 42%) explained 10% to 25%.
Postman’s 2023 Point out of the API Report, the company’s fifth annual survey of API pros, was produced June 27. The report tracks tendencies in API administration and utilization by querying API industry experts and developers on subject areas such as API equipment, the future of APIs, and development priorities. The study was conducted from late April to early June. Anonymized, aggregated information from the Postman API system also was factored into the report.
Other key results of the 2023 State of the API Report:
- Nearly two-thirds of respondents explained their APIs generate income. Of these respondents, 43% claimed their APIs crank out extra than a quarter of corporation earnings.
- Ninety-two percent said investments in APIs will rise or remain the similar for the duration of the future 12 months.
- API safety enhanced for most respondents, with the frequency of incidents dropping in 2023. But some sectors fared worse than other individuals. Respondents in the automotive, instruction, and retail sectors stated that incidents had happened at increased-than-average rates.
- Value is a prime thought when selecting whether or not to integrate with an API.
- Centered on information from the Postman Public API Community, the 5 most well known API collections (all those most generally forked) for the duration of the earlier 12 months were the Salesforce System APIs, WhatsApp Cloud API, Twitter API v2, Notion API, and PayPal APIs.
- Rest continues to be the most-applied API architecture, with 86% employing it. But this was down from final year’s 89% figure and 92% in 2021.
Copyright © 2023 IDG Communications, Inc.